While running errands this morning, I realized that it’s now much closer to the end of summer than the start (clearly there’s a real genius over here … ). Instead of, you know, being an adult and embracing change, I made the summeriest salad I could think of: mango-black bean salad. My friend Nila used to make this when we were roommates and I couldn’t get enough of it, then or now.
It’s not quite a salad, but it’s a little too chunky for salsa (though I suppose if you dice your mangos a little smaller, it could be). Whatever it is, it’s totally delicious.
Best part? It’s a cinch to put together and takes advantage of the season’s bounty.
Mango-Black Bean Salad
Recipe from Nila
– 3 mangos, diced
– 3 ears fresh corn, boiled with the kernels cut off (15-ounce can or equal amount frozen works too)
– 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
– 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
– juice from one lemon (or a lime)
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
– salt and pepper, to taste
Mix all of the ingredients well. Add a little salt and pepper (and an optional diced red onion).
Voila! The perfect accompaniment to a grilled white, flaky fish, shrimp or scallops, or even just grilled chicken. And it fits perfectly on a tortilla chip.